Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Kissing Fish and Candy Frogs

I was unpacking Christmas at work today (yes, I know it's September-take it up w/ my manager). Anyway, I opened a box that had a statue of Santa kneeling at the feet of baby Jesus in the manger. I paused for a a few minutes and tried to figure out what that meant to me.
It could be that while all of the world is swept up in the secular, focusing on Santa and presents and trees, etc. Santa is bringing our attention back to what really matters. It could be that Santa sells and Jesus sells so hey, why not make double the profit and put the two together. Genius plan...The other thought I had was what if the secular symbol of Christmas is juxtaposed next to the religious symbol of Christmas to make a point of showing consumers just how much we have managed to mangle and perverse the original reason for celebration, changing our focus from what some believe to be the savior of the world to a fat bearded man in velvet climbing down chimneys. In any case, the two figures side by side are, if nothing else, cause for thought and contemplation. I also found a frog holding a candy cane and a fish with big black lips with music notes floating out them, but far be it from me to think I am so wise as to be able to rationalize the reason behind those two pieces of wasted manufacturing resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment