Sunday, August 16, 2009

Should some parts of celebrities' lives be off-limits to the public, or is giving up privacy a fair price for being famous?

I think that when there are naked pics of Vanessa Hudgenson online, when I konw the hospital and doctors name who delivered Shiloh and when I can see police mug shots of Lindsay Lohan after a DUI then I konw too much. I mean, we started being interested in celebrities' lives bc we were awe struck by their wealth and their clothes, etc. Sure, I want to see the pictures of dresses at the red carpet and yes, when someone has a baby, I wouldn't mind seeing a picture. I just feel that seeing excepts from celbrity divorce papers is a bit over the top. I refuse to watch E News anymore because they display clips of people walking and you actually get to see what it looks like from their point of view, you get to see the swarms of photographers and reporters, harrassing them while they shop for dog food, walk outside to pick up the mail and go to the local Starbucks. The pathetic part of all of this is that we have become so obsessed with their lives and their relationships because when magazines write articles and create headlines about their faults and failures then we can judge them based on our social, moral and religious standards and elevate ourselves above the people we so aspire to be. As a society, we have become obsessed with the social and personal lives of perfect strangers because not only does knowledge of their lives allow us to boast affinity, but it provides us with a perfect opportunity to point out the spec-sized short comings of others in a fultile attempt to ignore the pirate sized plank in our own eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment